May 14, 2006
So for years I have been building websites with what I thought were sticks and stone tools. It turns out that sometimes the simple stuff is what works the best. Let me back pedal a bit...
I've been doing web development for about 5 years now and when I started, there weren't really any good tools available. Before starting in the area of web development, I was doing hard core C++ programming for realtime signal processing. We had some great development tools for C++, but for HTML and PERL, there wasn't much around.
Over time tools were developed, but I had gotten so used to building sites with the old vi editor and optiperl that I ignored them. Well, about a week ago I started on a big web development project that required some elaborate web design. I decided that I needed some proper tools so I purchased the Adobe CS2 Suite (GoLive, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Flash, and Indesign). I did the tutorials and started on my web design journey.
Illustrator is very stable, but I noticed right from the start that GoLive was buggy. It started crashing for no obvious reason, so I figured I was running out of memory. The old workhorse only had 1gb of ram so I beefed it up to 3gb (on sale at compusa) and proceeded on my journey.
Well, it turns out that memory was not the problem. The program was crashing all the time and I was loosing my work more often than not. I started saving everytime I made the smallest change (what a pain).
In the end I abandoned the program and went back to my stone tools.
For the record, GoLive CS2 is really quite dead.
May 02, 2006
The Evil Trojan
So I awoke this morning to find that my trusty workhorse (my winxp box)had a nasty system message showing. The message claimed that one of the vital system programs had been messed with and that I needed to reboot the computer.
Then I saw a popup from the Microsoft Security Center... Logos all ablaze telling me they detected a trojan and that I needed to scan for it. I clicked the button to view it's findings and WHAMMO, i was hit with a nasty bit of malware that changed my browser default to some site selling a trojan removal tool, a new popup bar kept showing this annoying message all about "detected attempted identity theft" or "trojan detected". It was a total and complete mess.
I had to grind the system down into "Safe Mode" and then delete any program that was added to the system when the bomb was dropped. It took about an hour, but it was effective and I was able to totally remove it.
Man these malware guys are getting very crafty indeed.