« September 2006 | Main | November 2006 »

October 16, 2006

Baseball Season Ends

Ok, so I thought we had a chance this year and we 'almost' made it. Heck, we were the third of fourth best team in baseball this year. RJ is still pining the Brewers so I don't feel all that bad. The A's were thrashed by Detroit and we looked pretty weak. Nuff said. On a lighter note, Ken Macha was fired today as the manager of the A's. So we are skipperless (sp?) It's ok, I was getting a little worn out going to all those home game. See you next season... Go A's!

Posted by Hefe at 07:53 PM | Comments (0)

October 11, 2006

Cory Lidle Died Today

Cory Lidle used to pitch for the A's a number of years ago... Sadly he was killed in a plane crash today when the small plane he was piloting hit a high rise in New York. He was only 34 years old. This is tragic and I pass on my condolences to his friends, family and fans. Rest in peace Cory, you will be missed.

Posted by Hefe at 02:39 PM | Comments (0)

Detroit Takes Game 1

as.gifHefito and I went to game one of the the ALCS last night. We were looking really good until the incredible melting Zito came out to the mound in the third inning. It only took two bad innings and four double plays to kill us. We had guys in scoring position a couple times and still couldn't score. It was muy feo. Hopefully tonight will bring us a better game and a better result. Go A's

Posted by Hefe at 01:54 PM | Comments (0)

October 06, 2006

It's a Sweep!

as.gifThat's right, the Oakland A's have made it out of round one of the playoffs. They swept the Twins in three straight games. The game was awesome and the team looked really great. Only 8 more wins to clinch... Go A's.

Posted by Hefe at 09:45 AM | Comments (0)

October 05, 2006

Stock Art

os.jpg
I was complaining to my buddy RJ about the fact that there is no decent fo-free stock art on the web. You have to buy it either in a group (say $350 for 100 pictures) or ala carte ($1 - $5 per picture). So anyway, RJ turned me on to the stock.xchng which is the community web site where people share stock art. It's totally free, no royalties,and you can use the images pretty much anywhere. Brilliant!

Posted by Hefe at 02:51 PM | Comments (0)

October 04, 2006

Keep It Rolling

as.gif
The A's got another game under their belt. My buddy Pipe called me during the game (right after Mark Kotsay's inside the park homer) and he got the wooooo-hoooo in his good ear. I hope he's not too deaf.

Stay tuned sports fans... Only 9 more wins and counting down.

Posted by Hefe at 12:40 PM | Comments (0)

October 03, 2006

One Down 10 to Go

as.gif
The A's won the first game of the ALDS today. Only 10 wins to go.

Posted by Hefe at 12:38 PM | Comments (0)

October 01, 2006

Norton Upgrades

I’ve been using Norton Antivirus for some time and I must say that in general I have always felt that it did a good job. I’ve also tried a number of open source options and they were either too hard to install and configure, or they simply could not keep up with the latest and greatest bugs that showed up at my computer.

What I found was interesting in the last iteration of Norton is that even though with live update it seemed to keep up with most or the virus threats, it did absolutely nothing about spyware and malware that ended up on my computer from my many hours of surfing. This always struck me as a bit odd.

So my annual subscription came due and I decided to renew. This is actually one of the gripes I have about the whole Norton product line, but that’s another post. Anyway, it turned out that I could extend my virus protection for a year for the modest price of $30 OR I could upgrade. I’m a bit of a curious fellow so I decided to peek in and see what the upgrade was all about. It turns out that if you want virus AND spyware protection, you have to get the deluxe ‘Internet’ version of the software. What and smelly crock!

Well, what is a guy going to do, I had to be protected from those evil marketers and every time I pick up one of these bad boys it cost me a day. I bit the bullet and shelled out the $50 *GULP*

Posted by Hefe at 10:21 AM | Comments (0)